The iPhone is one of the best smartphones out there if you love to click photos. Apple has consistently delivered pretty capable phone cameras with each edition of the iPhone. If you’re one of those who love clicking tons of pics on your phone, you probably would have run short of storage on your iPhone. Or you’re simply looking for a way to easily view your photos on your computer.
Either way, you’d need to know how to transfer photos from your iPhone to your computer. Whether you have Mac or a Windows PC, it’s fairly straightforward to accomplish a photo transfer. Let’s look at the different ways you can transfer your shots from your iPhone to your computer.
Use Photos App on Your Mac or PC
The Photos application is one of the easiest ways to transfer files from your iPhone to your Mac or your Windows PC. Once you connect your iPhone to your Mac, transferring your photos is simple using the steps below:
- Connect your iPhone to your iMac or MacBook using your lightning-to-USB cable.
- Select Trust on the Trust This Computer? dialog box that comes up.
- You may have to unlock your phone to see this dialog box. Open Photos app on your Mac.
- Photos will automatically show all the photos and videos on your iPhone on the screen. Select the ones you want to transfer.
- Next, select the destination location next to Import to.
- Click Import Selected to transfer the selected files or simply click Import All New Items
If you’re transferring to a Windows PC instead, you can use the Photos app on Windows and follow largely the same process to import your desired photos to your PC.
Use iCloud on Your Mac or PC
iCloud offers a seamless way to sync your photos across all your devices – iPhone, iPad, iMac, MacBook, or Windows PC. All you need to ensure is you have turned on iCloud storage on your iPhone so that your photos are synced with your cloud storage, ready to be accessed by your computer.
- Open iCloud.com on your Mac and select Photos
- Select the photos you want to download to your Mac.
- Click the download button in the upper right area of the window.
- For Windows PC, download and install iCloud for Windows 10
- Log in with your Apple ID.
- Next to Photos, open Options, and select iCloud Photos. You’ve now enabled automatic sync to iCloud from your PC.
- To download any photos from iCloud to your PC, select iCloud photos in the Navigation Pane.
- Select the images you want to download, right-click the selection and choose Always keep on this device.
Use Finder or File Explorer
You can simply use the default explorer on your Mac or PC to copy photos from your iPhone. This is the Finder on your Mac and the File Explorer on your PC.
- Connect your iPhone to your Mac using your lightning-to-USB cable.
- Open a new Finder window and under Devices, click on your iPhone
- Click on Photos and check the Sync Photos box
- Select the folder you want to sync from and then choose the photos or albums you want to transfer.
- Click Apply.
- On a Windows PC, open File Explorer and open your iPhone under Devices and drives
- Open the DCIM folder to see various folders named 100APPLE, 101APPLE, 100Cloud, etc.
- Select the photos you want to transfer from the various folders and simply copy-paste them to the destination of your choice.
There are other ways of transferring photos from your iPhone to your computer like using Email, Bluetooth, AirDrop, or even iMessage. But the methods we discussed above are the most common and the easiest ways available.