If you’re thinking of buying a brand-new iPhone 14 series phone, you should know how to activate eSIM on iPhone 14. The latest generation of iPhones shipping in the U.S. have ditched physical SIMs altogether. Hence, knowing how to transfer or activate your physical SIM to eSIM or ‘embedded SIM’ is a must for everyone new to the technology.
An eSIM allows you to activate your cellular plan on your iPhone using only your carrier credentials. It also comes in handy if you frequently need to swap out SIMs to switch between different numbers. With eSIMs being completely digital, they’re immune from theft, loss, and a whole lot of hassle.
Why Do You Need an eSIM?
eSIM has been a feature of iPhones since the iPhone XS. While users could keep a physical and multiple eSIMs simultaneously, the iPhone 14 models in the U.S. don’t have a physical SIM tray. eSIM technology on the latest iPhone offers you the option of using two active numbers at once and storing up to eight of them.
So moving forward, eSIM is the way to go, at least if you’re living in the U.S. Fortunately, Apple makes it quite simple to convert your physical SIM to an eSIM. Moreover, if your existing iPhone already supports eSIM, you can convert it into an eSIM even before purchasing your new iPhone 14 series phone.
The following iPhone models are compatible with eSIM:
- iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR
- iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13, iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max
How to Convert physical SIM to eSIM on your Current iPhone
In preparation for your new iPhone 14 model, you can convert your physical SIM to an eSIM on your existing iPhone. Simply follow the steps below:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Select Cellular and tap Convert to eSIM.
- Tap Convert Cellular Plan. on the Convert to eSIM screen.
- Now remove your physical SIM from your iPhone with a SIM ejector tool.
- Reboot your phone.
Your physical SIM to eSIM conversion is complete.
How to Convert physical SIM to eSIM on iPhone 14 series
You don’t need to have a pre-converted eSIM ion your iPhone before buying a new iPhone 14 series phone. Apple offers a Quick Transfer workflow to easily convert your physical SIM on your existing iPhone to an eSIM on your new iPhone. This is part of the device setup process on your new iPhone.
Make sure to update your existing iPhone to iOS 16 before you proceed with the following steps:
- During the iPhone 14 setup process, the Set Up eSIM screen will prompt you to transfer and activate your SIM to an eSIM. Choose your cellular plan below the text, Transfer from another iPhone.
- You may need to enter a verification code from your existing iPhone on your new device to begin the activation.
- However, if you don’t have an eSIM on your existing iPhone, you’ll see the Convert to eSIM screen where you can tap Convert Cellular Plan to convert your physical SIM to an eSIM.
- Once the process is complete, your physical SIM will be deactivated.
How to Use QR Codes to Activate eSIM on iPhone 14 series
Some carriers don’t support Apple’s Quick Transfer feature. In such cases, you will automatically receive a prompt on the Set up Cellular screen to scan a QR code from your carrier in order to activate eSIM on your iPhone 14. You can use your phone’s built-in Camera app to scan the onscreen QR code.
eSIM offers a great way to manage multiple carriers on your iPhone without the hassle of switching between physical SIM cards. The latest iPhones have fully adopted the technology in the U.S. and might do the same later in other regions as well. Even if you aren’t jumping in for an iPhone 14 upgrade and sticking to your previous iPhone, you can make use of eSIM and enjoy its benefits. And lastly, for any other hardware or software issues you’re facing on your iPhone, you can contact us to book a home or store repair.